 Administrative / General / 1425
Re: Uh Oh... (was Traffic Error )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:06:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, radiotitan@yahoo.com (Tom McDonald) writes:
But if you don't want to let this go, I'll be happy to answer questions.

I don't want to let something go that might conceivably be a bug somewhere.
That wouldn't be good.  Someone (...or...some...thing ;) caused the server
to repost the message a second time.  Unless there is some really horrible
strange bug somewhere, the only way this could happen is if the server was
explicitly asked to do so by a client (browser).

Your first message is dated Sat, 17 Apr 1999 00:28:10 GMT, and the second is
dated Sat, 17 Apr 1999 05:34:07 GMT.  In local time (EDT) these are shifted
back 4 hours.  Looking at the webserver logs, here's where the first one
shows up:

  IP Addr: 199.174.96.18
     Date: 16/Apr/1999:20:28:12 -0400
=> Request: POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.1
   Result: 200 (OK)
  Referer: http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.admin.general:1404
  Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 98)

And here is where the second one shows up:

  IP Addr: 199.174.98.143
     Date: 17/Apr/1999:01:33:37 -0400
  Request: GET /news/traffic/ HTTP/1.1
   Result: 200 (OK)