 Administrative / General / 139
138  |  140
Subject:
.slrnrc (was Re: Unix shell script for accessing multiple NNTP servers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 04:46:16 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@newsguy.com> wrote:
I'd appreciate that.  I'm having problems testing out slrn at all, and
I'm running into problems when I try to compile and install the latest
version of tin.  The older version that came with redhat 5.1 just
isn't doing what I need it to do.

Ok.

First, I set up aliases, like this:

  alias sl='slrn -n -C'
  alias lugnet='slrn -C -h lugnet.com'

(In ~/.bashrc)

There's some specific-to-me stuff early in the file, but most of it can be
used as it is.

Also, I've made a sorta weird key-binding decision -- ENTER scrolls down one
line while reading a message, and \ scrolls back a line. Which seems
irrational, but makes sense on must PC keyboards. Everything else _should_
be pretty intuitive, but then, I've been using this setup for several years,
so it's all very familiar to me and perhaps I've done something else
strange.

Oh, and the first time you run slrn (with a new server), do `slrn --create`
(or `sl --create` or `lugnet --create`, whatever).

And now, without further ado, my ~/.slrnrc:

% -*- slang -*-

% SERVER to NEWSRC mapping for custom news servers - default is .jnewsrc
server news2.bu.edu .jnewsrc-news2
server lugnet.com .jnewsrc-lugnet

% The next line is for those servers that require a password.
%nnrpaccess HOSTNAME USERNAME PASSWORD
%nnrpaccess HOSTNAME USERNAME ""          % Prompt for password
%nnrpaccess HOSTNAME ""       ""          % Prompt for username and password

hostname "mattdm.org"
set username "mattdm"

set realname "Matthew Miller"
set replyto  "mattdm@mattdm.org"

% Name of signature file to use
set signature ".signature"

% The quote string will be used when following up/replying
set quote_string ">"

% This regular expression defines lines that are consider to be quoted lines.
% It says that any lines beginning with 0-2 spaces followed by a either
% a >, <, :, |, or = character is a quoted line.
ignore_quotes "^ ? ?[><:=|]"

% This sets the follow-up string.  Here, the following format specifiers are
% recognized: %d:date, %r:real name, %f:email address, %s:subject,
%             %m:msgid, %n:newsgroups, %%: percent
set followup "%r <%f> wrote:"

%Custom headers to add to NEW posts
%set custom_headers "X-Whatever: bla\nX-Misc: bla bla"
set custom_headers "X-coolwebsite: http://www.quotes-r-us.org/"

% Custom headers for followup/reply.  These can use format specifiers as
% in the 'followup' string variable.
%set followup_custom_headers "X-newsgroup: %n\nX-realname: %r\n"
%set reply_custom_headers "X-newsgroup: %n\nX-realname: %r\n"

% WWW browser to use.  The 'U' key in article mode searches the current article
% for a URL and then calls X browser if slrn appears to be run in X windows
% and non_Xbrowser otherwise.  Note: The second Xbrowser form assumes that
% netscape is already running.
set non_Xbrowser "lynx %s"
%set Xbrowser "rsh vader netscape %s &"
%set Xbrowser  "ssh android netscape -remote 'openURL(%s)' &"

% If autobaud is present, output rate will be synced to baud rate
%autobaud

% if non-zero, display first article when entering article-mode.
set show_article 0

% if non-zero, show description of newsgroup if available
set show_descriptions 1

% column where group descriptions start
set group_dsc_start_column 40

% If non-zero, backups of the newsrc file are not performed.
set no_backups 0

% If 0, do not beep terminal.  If 1, send audible beep.  If 2, send only
% visible bell.  If 3, send both.
set beep 1

% If non-zero, slrn will automatically subscribe new groups.  The default is 0.
set unsubscribe_new_groups 1

% If non-zero, all subject titles will be displayed even though many are
% duplicated.  A zero value makes the screen look less busy.
set show_thread_subject 0

% Enable xterm mouse support: 1 to enable, 0 to disable
set mouse 0

% Setting either of these to 0 will enable you to move directly to the
% next article/group without confirmation
set query_next_group 1
set query_next_article 1

% if zero, you will not see the "next group:" prompt.  This is NOT the same
% as the 'query_next_group' variable.
set prompt_next_group 1

% Set this to 0 for no-confirmation on follow, reply, quit, etc...
set confirm_actions 0

% If 0, do not display the name of the author.
% If 1, display subject then name.  If 2, display name then subject.
set author_display 2

% If 0, save all groups when writing newsrc file
% if 1, do not save any unsubscribed groups
% if 2, do not save any unread-unsubscribed groups
set write_newsrc_flags 0

% If greater than 0, a Cc: header to poster will automatically be generated on
% followups.  If -1, prompt first.
set cc_followup 0
set cc_followup_string "[This message has also been posted.]"

% Set to 0 to turn off display of ~ at end of article
set use_tilde 1

% Filename where articles you have posted are archived.
%set save_posts "News/My_Posts"

set postpone_directory "News/postponed"

% The sendmail command allows you to substitute another mailer.  Be sure that
% it implements the same interface as sendmail!
%set sendmail_command "/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t -oem -odb"

% Name of score file  (relative to HOME directory)
scorefile "News/Score"

% Articles scoring min_high_score and above constitute a high scoring article.
% Articles scoring below max_low_score define a low scoring article.
% Articles scoring at or below kill_score will be killed.
set min_high_score 100
set max_low_score -20
set kill_score -1000

% Name of directory where decoded files are placed (relative to HOME)
set decode_directory "News"
% Directory where all other files are saved.
set save_directory "News"

% Command used to invoke editor.  In the following example, %s represents
% the file name and %d represents the starting line number
set editor_command "joe +%d %s"

% If  non-zero, files used for posting, followup and reply will be regarded as
% temporary files in the directory specified by the TMPDIR environment
% variable or /tmp.
set use_tmpdir 0

% If 0, do not sort.  If 1, perform threading.  If 2, sort by subject
% If 3, thread then sort result by subject
% If 4, sort by score.  If 5, thread then sort by score.
% If 6, sort by score and subject
% If 7, thread, then sort by score and subject
set sorting_method 7
set display_score 0

% If non-zero, threads will be uncollapsed when a group is entered
set uncollapse_threads 0

% If non-zero, slrn will read the active file when starting.   This may lead to
% faster startup times IF your network connection is fast.  If it slow,
% DO NOT USE IT.  If you can, I recommend setting it to 1.
set read_active 1

% If non-zero and read_active is zero, slrn will attempt to use the NNTP
% XGTITLE command when listing unsubscribed groups.
set use_xgtitle 0

% What to wrap when wrapping an article:
%  0 or 4 ==> wrap body
%  1 or 5 ==> wrap headers, body
%  2 or 6 ==> wrap quoted text, body
%  3 or 7 ==> wrap headers, quoted text, body
% The higher number indicates that every article will be automatically
% wrapped.
set wrap_flags 4

% Maximum number of articles to read before slrn will prompt.  Default is 100.
% Set this to zero to turn of prompting.
set query_read_group_cutoff 100

% Numes of lines to read from the server between percentage counter updates
% This number will vary with the speed of the connection to your server
set lines_per_update 100

%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
% Mime support
%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
set use_mime 1
set mime_charset "iso-8859-1"
% If non-zero, call metamail for mime formats that slrn does not handle
set use_metamail 1

% If non-zero, header numbers will be displayed in the left-margin of the
% header window.  These numbers may be used as ``thread selectors''.
set use_header_numbers 1

% If non-zero, prompt for reconnection if the NNTP connection drops.  If zero,
% attempt reconnection without asking user.
set query_reconnect 0

% Character to use to hide spoiler text:
set spoiler_char '*'

% Help text to be displayed at bottom of screen in various modes:
%set art_help_line "bla bla"
%set header_help_line "more bla bla"
%set group_help_line "and even more"

%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
%  Local spool configuration
%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
% set spool_inn_root "/export/opt/inn"
% set spool_root "/export/news"
% set spool_nov_root "/export/news"
%
%% -- The following filenames are relative to spool_root
%
% set spool_nov_file ".overview"
% set spool_active_file "data/active"
% set spool_activetimes_file "data/active.times"
% set spool_newsgroups_file "data/newsgroups"

%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
%  GroupLens Support
%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
%set use_grouplens 1
%color grouplens_display blue white
%set grouplens_host "grouplens.cs.umn.edu"
%set grouplens_port 9000
%set grouplens_pseudoname "YOUR_PSEUDONAME"
%grouplens_add "rec.cooking.recipes"
%grouplens_add "comp.os.linux.misc"

%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
% Colors
%---------------------------------------------------------------------------
color header_number gray black
color normal lightgray black
color error yellow red
color status yellow blue
color group yellow black
color article lightgray black
color cursor white black
color author yellow black
color subject yellow black
color headers white black
color menu yellow blue
color menu_press black white
color tree yellow black
color quotes lightgray black
color thread_number blue black
color high_score red black
color signature lightgray black
color description blue black
color tilde gray black

%-----------------------------------------------------
% Monochrome attributes for monochrom terminals
%-----------------------------------------------------
mono normal none
mono header_number none
mono error blink bold
mono status reverse
mono group bold
mono article none
mono cursor bold reverse
mono author none
mono subject none
mono headers bold
mono menu reverse
mono menu_press none
mono tree bold
mono quotes underline
mono thread_number bold
mono high_score bold
mono signature none
mono description none
%------------------------  Group keymap------------------------------------

setkey group add_group "A"    %  add a new newsgroup
setkey group bob "\e<"  %  beg of buffer
setkey group bob "^K\eOA"
setkey group bob "^K\e[A"
setkey group catch_up "C"    %  mark group as read
setkey group down "\eOB" %  next group
setkey group down "\e[B"
setkey group down "^N"
setkey group eob "\e>"  %  end of buffer
setkey group eob "^K\eOB"
setkey group eob "^K\e[B"
setkey group group_search_forward "/"
setkey group help "?"
setkey group pagedown "^D"   %  next page of groups
setkey group pagedown "\e[6~"
setkey group pagedown "^V"
setkey group pageup "\eV"  %  previous page of groups
setkey group pageup "^U"
setkey group pageup "\e[5~"
setkey group post "P"
setkey group quit "Q"
setkey group redraw "^L"
setkey group redraw "^R"
setkey group refresh_groups "G"
setkey group save_newsrc "X"
setkey group select_group "\r"   %  read articles from group
setkey group select_group " "
setkey group subscribe "S"    %  subscribe to group (See unsubscribe)
setkey group suspend "^Z"
setkey group toggle_group_display "\033A"
setkey group toggle_score "K"
setkey group toggle_hidden "l"
setkey group toggle_list_all "L"
setkey group unsubscribe "U"    %  unsubscribe
setkey group up "\eOA" %  previous line
setkey group up "\e[A"
setkey group up "^P"

%---------------- Article mode keymap -------------------------------------

setkey article goto_article "j"
setkey article pipe_article "|"
setkey article skip_quotes "\t"

setkey article pageup "^U"
setkey article pageup "\e[5~"
setkey article pageup "\eV"

setkey article pagedn "\e[6~"
setkey article pagedn "^D"
setkey article pagedn "^V"

setkey article post "P"
setkey article toggle_show_author "\ea"
setkey article get_parent_header "\ep"
setkey article catchup_all "c"
setkey article catchup_all "\ec"
setkey article uncatchup_all "\eu"
setkey article catchup "\eC"
setkey article uncatchup "\eU"
setkey article scroll_dn " " % scroll to next page of article or select article
setkey article scroll_up "^?" % scroll to next page of article
setkey article scroll_up "b" % (scroll_up or article_pageup)
setkey article  article_lineup "\e\e[A" % Scroll article one line up
setkey article  article_lineup "\e\eOA"
setkey article  article_lineup "\\"
setkey article  article_linedn "\e\e[B" % Scroll article one line down
setkey article  article_linedn "\e\eOB"
setkey article article_linedn  "\r"
setkey article  article_search "/" % Search forward through article
setkey article  author_search_forward "a" % Search forward for an author
setkey article  author_search_backward "A" % Search backward for an author
setkey article  cancel "\e^C" % Cancel the article
setkey article  delete "d" % Mark current article as read and
                                        % move to the next unread one
setkey article  down "^N" % Move to the next article
setkey article  down "\e[B"
setkey article  down "\eOB"
setkey article  mark_spot ";" % Set mark at current article
setkey article  exchange_mark "," % Set the mark and return to the
                                        % location of the previous mark.
setkey article  followup "f" % Followup on the article
setkey article  forward "F" % Forward the article to someone
setkey article  help "?" % Show help screen
setkey article  hide_article "H" % Hide the article window.
setkey article  goto_end "^E" % goto the end of the article
setkey article  left "<"
setkey article  left "\eOD"
setkey article  left "\e[D"
setkey article  next "n" % next unread article
setkey article  skip_to_next_group "N" % next group
setkey article  prev "p" % previous unread article
setkey article  quit "q" % Quit back to group mode.
setkey article  redraw "^L" % Redraw the display
setkey article  redraw "^R"
setkey article  reply "r" % Reply to the author of the current article
setkey article  goto_beginning "^A" % goto the beginning of the article
setkey article  right ">"
setkey article  right "\e[C"
setkey article  right "\eOC"
setkey article  save "O" % append to a file in Unix mail format
setkey article  subject_search_forward "s" % Search forward/backward
                                      % for an article with a specific subject
setkey article  subject_search_backward "S"
setkey article  suspend "^Z" % Suspend the newsreader
setkey article  toggle_collapse_threads "\et"
setkey article toggle_rot13 "\eR"
setkey article toggle_sort "\eS"
setkey article  toggle_headers "t" % Toggle the display of
                                        % some headers on and off
setkey article  toggle_quotes "T"
setkey article  undelete    "u" % Mark the current article as unread
setkey article  up "^P" % Move to the previous article
setkey article  up "\eOA"
setkey article  up "\e[A"
setkey article art_header_bob "\e<" % Move to first article in list
setkey article art_header_eob "\e>" % Move to last article in list
setkey article shrink_window "^^" % Ctrl-6 or Ctrl-^ Shrink header window
setkey article enlarge_window "^" % Shift-6 or just ^ Enlarge header window

%setkey article  skip_to_prev_group ""     % No default binding
%setkey article  fast_quit          ""     % No default binding

% This is a special hack for HP terminals to get the arrow keys working.
% Are there any other terminals being used with non-ANSI arrow keys?
#if$TERM hpterm
  setkey group up "\eA"
  setkey group down "\eB"
  setkey article down "\eB"
  setkey article up "\eA"
  setkey article left "\eD"
  setkey article right "\eC"
#endif

% Command prompt keymap
setkey readline bol "^A" % Beginning of line
setkey readline eol "^E" % End of line
setkey readline right "\e[C" % Move right
setkey readline left "\e[D" % Move left
setkey readline bdel "^H" % Delete backward
setkey readline bdel "^?" % Delete Backward
setkey readline del "^D" % Delete Foreword
setkey readline deleol "^K" % Delete to End of line
setkey readline trim "\e/" % Trim whitespace
setkey readline quoted_insert "^Q" % Quoted insert