 Administrative / General / 1244
1243  |  1245
Subject:
Lego Loco Multi-Player Sessions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:50:48 GMT

There was a thread on r.t.l last week about hosting a multi-player
session of Lego Loco.  I would love to see this happen, but there are a
few obstacles to overcome.  Lego Loco requires that players joining a
multiplayer session know the host's IP address and this is usually
server-assisgned when the host connects and therefore cannot be
communicated to the other players in a timely fashion.  Some possible
workarounds to this problem:

* Having multiplayer sessions take place at an established time/times
throughout the week and having the host post his/her IP address for that
session to a LUGNET group (appearing instantly to others interested).

* Having a host who has a permanent IP address

* A dedicated Lego Loco server (I don't think this will happen or that
this is very practical)

I would like to see some regular Lego Loco multi-player sessions for
several reasons.  Throughout the years several people have tried setting
up Lego chats on IRC or their web-pages but it has never taken off.  The
multi-player Loco sessions would be similar to real-time chat, but they
would also have the added benefit of doing so while playing a
Lego-related game.  I think it would be a neat context within which to
socialize.

Also, I think the multi-player aspects of the game would really bring it
to life.  Designing your layout would be a lot more fun if you knew
others would see it and run their trains on it.

I think we need to take advantage of this feature in the software.  I'm
still scratching my head over why it was put in...it's too complicated
for kids to figure out the internet method and I don't know of many
families that have a LAN in their house, and even if they did, would
they use it for networked Loco games?  I suppose it was fun for the
developers to use it in their offices...but come on.  Let's make some
use out of it in the AFOL community at least.

Some other things to consider:

Would a special LUGNET group dedicated to announcing game start times/ip
addresses be warranted?

Only 9 people can join one session.  Would we need multiple hosts?

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu