 Administrative / General / 12317
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 01:20:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:

If LUGNET's law applies equally, then let the 'puter make it equal across the
board.

Do you insist on a speeding ticket every time you speed, or else repeal of all
speeding laws?

K, you are sooooo talking to the wrong guy about this one.  If it were up to me,
right now every bridge, every overhead sign, everything along the highway
system, would have a photo radar installed.

Give me 10 grande to install the first,then with proceeds from that one, I'd
start setting up more and more--it's self sustaining as long as people want to
break the law.

I'd actually change it so people think they're paying for the privilege to drive
faster--"Hey, I paid 245 dollars so I could go 140 in a hundred zone!"

The law is the law.  Some laws may be stupid, or even wrong for todays age. That
does not give us the right to throw out all laws, including traffic violations.
Someone somewhere ran some tests and came up with the safest/speed ratio--for
Ontario highways it's 100 km/h.  Now I think about vehicles, going in opposite
directions, both doing 100 km/h--shoud they collide, the speed differential is
200 km/h!  That's huge.  Now if the cars are doing 140 (which is not uncommon on
highways) that's 280 km/h if they hit!  No one, and I don't care what seatbelt
you're wearing... no one is walking away from that.

Speed kills.

The law is the law. Sure, if you break it the punishment should be scaled to fit
the crime--doing 10 km over the limit nets 10 bucks and no points. but it should
go up exponentially form there--these Speedy Gonzaleses are putting not onlyt
their lives in danger, but mine, my family's and all my friends.

Bottom line is the law is the law--don't like a law, get it repealed or changed
within the system.  Don't like the idea that Highway 400 is 100 km/h max?  Then
convince the safety people that we can drive faster and still be safe (as safe
as one cam be, anyway)

I'd forward this to o.t.-d but I think I have stuff to add below regarding LEGO
stuff...

This "sometimes the admins spot it and sometimes they don't" is a red herring in
my view. We spot what we spot, and we spot what people bring to our attention.

No red herring--I never stated any such view.  I stated that the 'puter would
apply the policy equally to everyone, didn't discuss whether admins see it or
not.  That's parenthetical to the debate--I grant that, sooner or later, all
profanity will be viewed by the admins and/or pointed out to the admins for them
to deal with.  I'm trying to help by getting the server to do 95 percent of the
grunt work, thus leaving the admins to worry about what's left.

I'm all for reasoned consideration of programming changes in future but for now
the rules are what they are, and the system is what it is, and I am very tired
of being taken to task for trying to enforce them.

1.  I wasn't taking you to task.  I know that someone was, and now there's this
furor.

2.  The rules are what they are, but if Joe Normal Poster doesn't know them,
what's the point?  Ignorance of the law is one thing, but these grey areas are
something all together a different animal.

You and JoJo know better. Explain to me why both of you shouldn't be on
indefinite timeout for violating the rules, without any letters or notes warning

Explain to me how I violated the ToU?  I'm not JoJo.  Deal specifically with me.
In this instance, specifically regarding Dave K and ++Lar, until this post of
yours, you and I have had no direct coversation, e-mail or otherwise regarding
any supposed ToU violation by me.  I haven't chimed in on JoJo's issues, for I'm
not privvy to all that happened between the admins and JoJo.  That said, You,
Larry, and I have had many conversations over many years.  Do you think I would
do something that may be perceived to be extraordinarily 'outside my character'
on a whim?  If we're talking specifically me, and specifically you, remember to
whom you're speaking with.  I'll do the same.

you or asking for cancels? Those notes from us are for people that need to
understand how things are where we think there may be some confusion about the
rules or guidelines. You have both wilfully violated the guidelines and I am
tired of that sort of button pushing too. Mostly you're a good guy Dave, snap
out of it.

In this particular instance, it's not me.  In this particular instance, it's 'da
rulz' which are vague.  The difference between the guy stating 'I did 140 in a
hundred zone just 'cause I wanted to', and the guy who was doing 140 in a
hundred zone 'cause he's responding to an emergency and has the little red
flashy lights onthe top of the car--one is breaking the law, the other isn't.
Cars with red flashy lights (ambulances/police/fire trucks) are allowed to go
faster than the speed limit and they woudn't be breaking any laws if they are
responding to an emergency.

In my mind this issue, whilst not an emergency, is an issue that the admins need
to readdress.

I really don't have time for foolishness like this. That it got posted to
announce initially is, in my view, terrifically shameful. No community member
worthy of my respect would do that if he or she were thinking clearly.

On that we agree.  One thing I'm still not used to id remembering the followups.
I didn't realize my post was in general--I assumed it was admin.general.  Again,
that assume thing...

Dave K