 Administrative / General / 11760 (-20)
  Re: Bad news for NASA

(...) Yes, I agree with that as a general principle. I do think this one was already over the line though. But I'm massively compartmentalised. Should a "is this here instead of there?" post/question precede a forceFUT? I dunno. It's possible to (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Profanity and bowdlerization

The LUGNET admins have talked about this topic and reached the following consensus. We're inclined to go with a strict interpretation of the ToS. The ToS was put in place in order to give LUGNET a certain flavor, and we'd like to retain that flavor. (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

(...) Hey Lenny, I've got a Few ideas. First, the personal webpages are a hugely underused feature of Lugnet. On the front page there is a button for how to go about making a personal page, but there is no master list (or at least none that is (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

(...) I agree, I'm not sure. I assumed it would belong in .nntp, just because we're talking about threading, and how it should work... But looking at the nntp charter, it's not clear if it belongs there or not. (...) Heh, whatever I think of bashing (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

(...) The fact that past threads became debates doesn't mean that talking about NASA is OT for .geek. I'd recommend judging each thread by it's own contents, not by the history of the subject. (...) Regardless if anyone actually replies to the (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

There is some confusion in my mind about whether this topic belongs in .general or .nntp... read the charter for general and it's on topic there. Plus that's where every other admin post is. So FUT to both I guess. (...) Whether it was already a (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

This is a reply to both Kelly and Steve (close by in the tree) and the FUT is set to just admin.general (...) I don't know what's proper. We're experimenting. I hope people won't get too upset about it, till we get it right. I did an experiment (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

(...) Had further thoughts about this - are there guidelines about recognizing at what point a thread should be rerouted into a different group? This particular thread, IMO, is pretty harmless (now), but I can see how (URL) threads can deteriorate>. (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

(...) I think the topic of 'right level of notification/intervention' is worthy of public discussion. IMO, in this specific instance, the intervention was unnecessary. I hadn't read any 'debate' into the discussion, and any time 'NASA' and 'budget' (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Profanity Question (was Re: American Idolatry)

(...) It's not censorious, it's a condition of usage. No censorship is involved. (...) My personal preference is no. An administrative answer is, stay tuned. Personal preference again: Hold off till the answer comes down. (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: American Idolatry

(...) No. Your search does not demonstrate that it is necessarily OK or not OK, it merely unearthed incidents of use. The only conclusion to draw there is that the admins chose not to take action for whatever reason, not that using it is necessarily (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Profanity Question (was Re: American Idolatry)

(...) Can I use such work arounds? Adr. (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Addendum was Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

(...) Best to contact me not using that email--as it is a junkmail pit. Use braun at NOSPAM history dot rutgers SPAMKILL dot edu. LFB (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

(...) Lenny- I'm interested in shouldering some of the editing/proofing load. Given that I edit for a living, it might be of some use...:) Oh, and I've been around for a looo...ooo ooo...ooo ooo...ooong time. best LFB (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

I can do some editing/proofing, and some writing. Part of my job is technical writing, and I do a bit of Web design (no nitty-gritty HTML coding, though). Just let me know. James Wilson, Dallas, TX Lugnet member #1783 (20 years ago, 21-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

(...) As payment, you'll have to give me a little Lugnet logo next to my name, just like Lenny. Not. What did you guys have in mind? -JHK (20 years ago, 21-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

(...) Sure I live on free. -JHK (20 years ago, 21-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

(...) If you work for free, heck, I'll load you up! ;-) -Tim (20 years ago, 21-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

I can't do any coding but I'd be happy to do some editing/proofreading/general writing. I'm here just about every night for a few minutes though I don't post much. (20 years ago, 21-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: New Users Guide: Call for Volunteers

I'll do any boring code and html stuff. Give me something! I'm bored! -JHK (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact