 Administrative / General / 11760
Re: Bad news for NASA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:18:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger wrote:
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 06:21:11PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
My experience with this particular (NASA/congress/shuttle) topic the
several times it comes up is that sooner or later it always clearly
belongs in .debate. I may have acted too early. But I already saw some
of the codewords... (Shuttle eating everything else for example).

The fact that past threads became debates doesn't mean that talking
about NASA is OT for .geek.  I'd recommend judging each thread by it's
own contents, not by the history of the subject.

Yes, I agree with that as a general principle. I do think this one was already
over the line though. But I'm massively compartmentalised. Should a "is this
here instead of there?" post/question precede a forceFUT? I dunno. It's possible
to overanalyse this, I fear.

Prove me wrong! Set the FUT back and stay out of debate areas... I'd
like that because it meant that the thread stayed out of debatable
stuff and there would be a teachable moment in there.

Regardless if anyone actually replies to the thread anymore, I think
this is the wrong approach - shouldn't the guiding rule be "when in
doubt, wait and see"?  Instead of "at the first hint of trouble, punt!"?

Yes, I agree with that as well now that some of the dust has settled. I think
there may be exceptions to that rule though. Rather greater magnitude than this
particular excursion and rather faster breaking than this one, though, before it
(preemptiveness) is warranted.

(I'm guessing the FUT on your post was to admin.general, but I have no
easy way of knowing - it wasn't in the text of your post,

Good point, it's easy to forget to mention that.

and FUTs are
apparently broken for SMTP users).

I did not know that (or have forgotten it). Does Todd?

Setting FUT to admin.general.

Hm... will your FUT take? It seems to for me anyway.

Again, thanks for exploring this with us.