 Administrative / General / 114
Re: IMPORTANT: newsgroup hierarchy naming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 17:21:58 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

It seems there are subtle issues with the current naming scheme for
groups...  Some people using advanced filtering/integration software
and/or special gateways are running into problems because the groups don't
all exist under a single hierarchy (i.e., "lugnet.*").

I want to gather opinions on how usable the current hierarchy might still
be if "lugnet." were prepended to all group names (except of course the
ones that already say "lugnet." at the front.)  Here are some samples of
the way things might look under that sort of renaming:

   lugnet.admin.database
   lugnet.admin.statistics
   lugnet.announce
   lugnet.build.cad
   lugnet.build.publish
   lugnet.build.robotics
   lugnet.build.storage
   lugnet.build.trains
   lugnet.dear-lego
   lugnet.fan.starwars
   lugnet.general
   lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
   lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
   lugnet.market.auction
   lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
   lugnet.off-topic.debate
   lugnet.off-topic.fun
   lugnet.reviews
   lugnet.test

This looks really cluttersome to me, but if issues with the current naming are already popping up, I wonder what sort of problems might
pop up 2 or 6 months down the road...?

Think of it this way - having lugnet prepended to every
newsgroup is a blessing in disguise in terms of clarity.

For one thing, it makes VERY clear where to find the
newsgroups.  Cross-talk about lugnet on r.t.l is going to
occur, and I feel sorry for people trying to find loc.us.ms.msp
on dejanews or their local server.  At least with lugnet prepended
to everything, people have a fighting chance of knowing what
groups are lugnet newsgroups (anything with lugnet in the name)
and which are usenet newsgroups (anything else).

"Where do I find lugnet.foo" is still going to be a FAQ, but
the renaming was good preventative medication.

It's a good change.  It's not ungainly.

--

jthompson@teubner.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"