 Administrative / General / 109
Re: IMPORTANT: newsgroup hierarchy naming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 05:17:56 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Another possibility is to do the above but also remove the ".build." from
the names (to keep them simpler), and make "build.general" into

I like this suggestion best.

Assuming this path is going to be taken, I'm writing a script to reinject
the existing articles into the new groups after renaming.  The headers I'm
auto-munging are:

And I'm deleting Xref: because the newsserver will re-create that when the
article is reinjected.

I'll need to blow away the history.* files so that the message-id's of all
the articles look new to the system again, and so that it isn't cluttered
up with stuff from the old groups.

Anything else need to be done when renaming a group?

I'll need to run 'touch' on all the newly reinjected article files too, so
that when the snapshots are rebuilt for the  /news/traffic/  page, the
timestamps are right.

I almost hate to consider a sweeping change like this, but it's probably
wise to do so, and it might just be for the best long-term.

Better now than later!

This would *really* be a challenge later!  :)

--Todd