 Administrative / General / 11278
    Re: Signing off...till March —David Laswell
   (...) "You may have been able to see and access the website but unable to post; this is because the server, internally, needs to be able to look up its own IP address for various functions, and this was failing." That was part of Todd's post (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Signing off...till March —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) reading all of admin.general, so you needn't (mis)quote it back to me, and further, I read what Todd says (in his posts here, and in his emails to me when we occasionally correspond about things) pretty carefully...(1) The outage happened (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Signing off...till March —David Laswell
   (...) Yes. I also happen to remember that Todd reported the DNS registry as expiring on the 18th. _One_day_ before the original post in this thread. I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility that the DNS registration (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Signing off...till March —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Never said it was outside the realm of possibility. But the nameserver caches were all working fine, till yesterday, that's how things work, the flush order doesn't go out till a week after the expiry. Also, there are a lot of people that use (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Signing off...till March —Sonnich Jensen
     (...) Just to clerify a few things. I posted the answer quite late (some days later), I recall thinking, that it was too late for this thread, but what... I have sometimes seen, that the confirmation mail cames app 24 hours later, so I did not think (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Signing off...till March —Matthew Miller
   (...) I'm slightly an expert, and generally, things like this don't go off right on their expiration date -- it's to the registrar's benefit to hold on to it a little while because it's better for you to renew with them than for the domain to go (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.admin.general)