 Administrative / General / 11279
Re: Signing off...till March
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:39:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
While LUGNET WAS down, but is back up now, I didn't think the outage would
have impacted confirmation mails. It's a Todd question, I think.

"You may have been able to see and access the website but unable to post;
this is because the server, internally, needs to be able to look up its
own IP address for various functions, and this was failing."

That was part of Todd's post explaining the outage, and it might have had
something to do with it.  You can read the rest of the post here:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=11276

I'm not sure who that's addressed to, but if it's me, I'm pretty good about
reading all of admin.general, so you needn't (mis)quote it back to me, and
further, I read what Todd says (in his posts here, and in his emails to me when
we occasionally correspond about things) pretty carefully...(1)

The outage happened yesterday, remember? Sonnich was talking about a post he
made (and didn't get a confirmation email for, that's different than not being
able to post) *several days ago*. That was well before the nameservice
problem.... So I'm not sure I see the applicability. Although I could be wrong
and I'd be the first to admit it if someone who actually knew what they were
talking about were to discuss it. I wasn't aware that you were an expert on
LUGNET internals though. (I certainly am not...)

1 - reading things carefully and thoroughly is something I highly recommend to
you, Dave. I understand that other people have made the suggestion to you in the
past as well, but it's worth repeating.

I suggest that if you're not willing to take the time to read things carefully,
not willing to take the time to read the entire thread before speaking,  not
willing to take the time to think about what's said by the other posters and,
generally, not willing to take the time to use your head before you use your
typing fingers, you might be doing yourself and others a disservice and your
time management strategies might need addressing.