 Administrative / General / 10912
Re: New World LUG Map demo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:50:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Andrew Westrate writes:
Todd,
If you remember where you got the country data from, will you please post a
link?  I've been using data from Penn State's site:
http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/ but unfortunately that data is too high
resolution to use for world maps. The resulting svg files end up being huge
(several megs).

I'm almost positive it was from the GRID website in Geneva, Switzerland.
The files I downloaded are gnv029.zip (world city population database) and
gnv019.zip (world coastline data) if that helps.  The map data is given in a
horribly designed and virtually undocumented ASCII dump/interchange format
that ESRI calls .e00 -- but after transformation into a useable intermediate
format, the GRID dataset actually works.  It's fairly high resolution, however
-- weighing in at 3-4 megabytes -- completely unsuitable for web use -- so
before converting it to SVG, what I do is run it through an arc and polygon
simplification step on-the-fly to remove unnecessary detail.  That brings the
SVG files, after compression, down to as little as 50KB, and I think I can even
get this down to 25KB with a little more work.

--Todd