 Administrative / General / 10911
Re: New World LUG Map demo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:20:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Simon Bennett writes:
  * readable city names (they're currently too small and often overlap)

And often utterly bonkers...  last time I was in Berks and Hants I didn't
find anywhere called 'Luanda' or 'Alger'! :)

I think there may be some serious mistakes in the coordinate data of the
cities.  Hong Kong shows up in Canada!  (I think this might be an accidentally
negated coordinate.)  I'd like to get a better data file.

Where do the names come from?

It's from a public domain list of about 2500 world cities based on population
density.  The current map view shows cities with a population of 1M or more.
Political capitals are also shown even if the population is small.

Will it be possible for these to be altered by agreement amongst admins/
curators to ones which best serve the needs of an area.  Some of the UK
naming is bizarre!

Short answer -- yes

Long answer -- not in a fully automated way, at least not soon.  I'd be more
than happy to tweak the city list for you though.  I can also add cities if
you can find me their longitude and latitude to 4 decimal places.

The current city list was just a starting point -- gets about 80% of the way
there with very little work.  Rather than going from population numbers, it
ultimately should go from "relative importance to the map" factors which
should be ad-hoc and adjustable to suit particular needs.

Very good already.  In no time I created the map I'd want to put on the
loc.uk sidebar.

Ah, cool.  OK, I'll tell you how to do this later tonight.  I've got to
solidify the syntax first.

Can there be a way of editing the font size of the labels on the 'circles
of influence' since my map says 'Brickish Ass'!

Oops, sorry about that.  I haven't figured out how to do a forced line-break
there yet.  I suppose I could add a font multiplaction factor (default 1.0)
for tweaking the font size upon display.

Do you intend the map to be managed by the admins?  Will this be too big a
job to bear and is there a way/ would you consider farming responsibility
out to e.g. curators?

The events stuff and club-specific stuff will be manageable by club or
event contact persons (the club or event declares who these people are).

  * Investigate customization ("skinning") with external XML style sheets.

OK, that's where you lose me and the other less techy people.  What is that
and why would it be useful?

Style sheets let you move certain defintions to an external location, for
example font style, size, color, line width, etc.  Especially in terms of
color, I can see this being useful in cases where a club or events wants to
include a specialized map on their website using this tool.  It's actually
possible to pull an SVG file from another server, and so I want to make it
easy for clubs/events/etc. to be able to embed these maps right on their
web pages as they please.

--Todd