 Administrative / General / 10919
Re: New World LUG Map demo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 04:51:21 GMT

Very good already.  In no time I created the map I'd want to put on the
loc.uk sidebar.

Ah, cool.  OK, I'll tell you how to do this later tonight.  I've got to
solidify the syntax first.

Simon,
Sorry I missed the target on this yesterday.  If you go to the map maker
tool at the original URL, it now tells you three things below the map:  (1)
HTML code if you want to embed the map on an off-site web page; (2) the raw
URL of the SVG file (gzip-compressed per the 'svgz' standard); and (3) an
FTX code snippet that you can cut & paste.  I'd probably recommend a 200x200
pixel map or thereabouts for the sidebar.  The links to clubs aren't there
yet, however.

Can there be a way of editing the font size of the labels on the 'circles
of influence' since my map says 'Brickish Ass'!

Oops, sorry about that.  I haven't figured out how to do a forced line-break
there yet.  I suppose I could add a font multiplaction factor (default 1.0)
for tweaking the font size upon display.

I made the font size selection code a bit smarter:  If the label is long,
the text automatically shrinks.  It's still not ideal, but I think you'll
agree it's better than before.

[...] It's actually possible to pull an SVG file from another server, and
so I want to make it easy for clubs/events/etc. to be able to embed
these maps right on their web pages as they please.

If anyone happens to give this a try, I'd be curious to hear how easy it was
for you.

--Todd