 Administrative / General / 10910
Re: Virus spam from Kim Brodie targetting LUGNET members?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:09:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 05:48:30PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
I've been getting them for some time too. My server admin is busy installing
some spam blocking software, but I don't know if it will block that. I've
set up several filter rules for this crap, though.

I purchased SpamKiller before McAfee bought them, but lost my registration
code :( So I've been deleting spam manually since then. I should call them
and see if they have me on record and if they can send me a new code.

I've been using spamassassin (woo, free!) for a while now, and it has
been catching these (and almost all other) spam.

I'll look into it.

I'm very discouraged with spam. I haven't registered my tim@brickmedia.com
address _anywhere_ and still receive spam.

and now you'll get more - you post the email address on the web, trust
me, something will harvest it.

Yeah, I figured :\ It is also on the BrickMedia website. When I set up a new
personal site at a new domain later this year, I won't publish the email at
all on the web. Instead, I'll set up a contact form on the site and make
sure the address isn't even in the page's source code.

Blah.

-Tim

You could do what I have done with my secondary yahoo email account
(rolly_dog2000@yahoo.com)  UNLESS the subject line as a special 4
alphanumeric code in it at the very beginning the messeage gets deleted and
into the trashbox!  So far I have gotten 0 spam mails becuase everything
that has been sent gets pitched!  he,he,he...

Unless of course you got the 4 alphamumeric character special code. =)
Which at this point only me and my sister have. He,he,he..

-AHui