 Administrative / General / 10885
Re: Virus spam from Kim Brodie targetting LUGNET members?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:15:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy Scott writes:
Well I am on the list and I certainly don't consider myself on of the top
members of the community - unless I am mistaken, which in that case I'll
take the glory of it. ;-)  I can also guess maybe the emails have been
harvested from the top headlines section, because AFAIK, all the people you
listed have posted a top news post, including myself.

Sorry, mate. I haven't posted anything on the top news, and I've been "under
fire" for the past three weeks. Today was a "not so ad" day, only one e-mail
with fake microsoft patches came into my inbox.

I'm personally surprised at the persistence of this "attack" -- I've been
receiving 2 to 3 per day for the past month or so.  It's so bloody obvious,
though, that I'd be surprised if anyone was caught by it, but still...

It is real sad.  I have done a very good job of staying spam free, and I am
only on this one list that seems to have targeted Lugnet members.  I also
think this may be a real person who havested the info, since I have a
spamblock on my email.  I also got a porn email that came from the same list
- nothing but text, but a link that led to an obviously derrogative site.

Same here.

I'm not sure what we as a community can do about this other than the obvious
(ignore and move on), but I was wondering if anyone knows if this Kim Brodie
exists, and if so is he/she aware of what's happening with their email
address, and if so can someone go give 'em a whack with the clue stick?

We can all change our email and put spamblocks on our posting identity?  :-D
Kim Brodie doubtfully exists, she is probably a surname for the sicko who is
running this spam ring.

The messages I've received aren't only from "Kim Brodie"; they have a fairly
wide range of names, some are even company names.

To be honest, the thing has now almost become a routine: every day I delete
a number of messages before opening them (the anti-virus is added security
:-) I expect this to fade away in time, hopefully.

Pedro