 Administrative / General / 10861
Re: New World LUG Map demo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:04:04 GMT

Todd,

A few questions and comments.
- What is your source for the country polygons?
- You are coding all the map generation?  You have your own code writing the
SVG?

I have been recently working with a program called SVGMapper.  Well, it's an
extension really.. an extension to ArcView from ESRI.

Here is a test sample:
http://rougeriver.com/svgmaps/cso_comp/map.htm

While this doesn't look much like what you have, it may give you some ideas.

Also, the program that generates the SVG has an option, which I've used, to
compress the files.  It uses (freeware?) called gzip.  One hassle is that
the .SVGs are no longer readable text.  But, with my data sets the files go
down by about 2/3rds in size.  Helpful for folks on dialups.

- Some where on there you should have the instructions on how to zoom, pan
etc, "zoom = control+left mouse" for example

Ken