 Administrative / General / 10391
Re: NNTP Posting setup (was Re: SOS. Lugnet member... )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:31:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John D. Forinash writes:
Seems there is a problem with having two different email addresses on file
for a given meatspace name. Got this back today:

DETAILS/COMMENTS:
   email address mismatch

DATA:
     True Name:  John D. Forinash
   True E-mail:  jd@forinash.not
     News Name:  J.D. Forinash
   News E-mail:  spambox@forinash.net

(I munged the True E-Mail there, it is correct in the mail I got.)

I am guessing this problem occurs because I already have an email address
on file.

It's because the True E-mail address is different from the News E-mail
address.  Spamblocks are allowed, but in this case the True E-mail address
isn't apparent given the spamblocked version.

On the other hand, if mail addressed to spambox@forinash.net actually gets
to your inbox, then simply put that as well into the True E-mail field.

The True E-mail field needs to be something that actually exists, and the
News E-mail field needs to be either (a) something that actually exists, or
(b) something that a human can take and munge mentally into something that
actually exists.

a) re-submit just like I did last time and email whoever I need to on the
other end to warn him that an odd one is coming through

This would work, with the heads-up you've given.

b) re-submit with both addresses being "spambox@forinash.net", since that
is a valid address, if a little slow to be read, and have both the problems
that it gets rejected because it looks like an invalid address _and_ that
any correspondance from LUGNET to me gets delayed by however long it takes
me to get around to cleaning out the spambox

This would work too -- but probably just try (a) since it's what you really
want.

--Todd