 Administrative / General / 10390
Re: NNTP Posting setup (was Re: SOS. Lugnet member... )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:45:30 GMT

In article <20020416193313.GT25800@peeron.com>,
Dan Boger  <dan@peeron.com> wrote:
nope - no problem at all.

Seems there is a problem with having two different email addresses on file
for a given meatspace name. Got this back today:

FORM:
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

RESULTS:
   There is a problem with the information you submitted.  Please fill out
   the form again to correct the problem.

DETAILS/COMMENTS:
   email address mismatch

DATA:
     True Name:  John D. Forinash
   True E-mail:  jd@forinash.not
     News Name:  J.D. Forinash
   News E-mail:  spambox@forinash.net

(I munged the True E-Mail there, it is correct in the mail I got.)

I am guessing this problem occurs because I already have an email address
on file.

This could, on the other hand, be a problem with the "True E-mail" not
matching the News E-Mail. Since both of those addresses exist and get to
me, I suspect that's not the problem, though it's not like there's a
comments box on the NNTP posting authorization form where I could note
that both addresses do exist and get to me. (the spambox one isn't
read often.)

Now, what do you guys want me to do? I do not want want my e-mail address
floating about the web for all the spammers to see, but have no problem
with LUGNET keeping it on file, and frankly, would prefer that LUGNET used
the real address to correspond with me. I would be more than happy to:

a) re-submit just like I did last time and email whoever I need to on the
other end to warn him that an odd one is coming through
b) re-submit with both addresses being "spambox@forinash.net", since that
is a valid address, if a little slow to be read, and have both the problems
that it gets rejected because it looks like an invalid address _and_ that
any correspondance from LUGNET to me gets delayed by however long it takes
me to get around to cleaning out the spambox
c) Whatever else makes your lives easier that doesn't involve my real email
address on a publically visible webpage.

I apologize for the confusion. I've gotten pretty paranoid about where
I'll let my daily-use e-mail address be since I get over thirty spam
a day in my old account at Georgia Tech. But I would prefer if someone
just hit their reply key, they get something that goes to me, even if
it's a little slow...

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
jd@forinash.not                                  ( <