 Administrative / General / 10341
Re: Request for Implementation of FAQ Reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:00:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Rob Doucette writes:
In support of the recent cross-posting FAQ entry:
http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ/Administrative/multiple
I recommend that:

1.  a note be added to the new post script
(http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/) under the "Post To: and Request
Followups To:" boxes in red warning against multiple posts, with a link to
this FAQ (opens in a new window?)

2.  the same warning and link be added to the NNTP post approval e-mail
encouraging the modification/cancellation of posts which are multiples.

3.  the same warning and link be added to the post approval webpage
referenced in the #2 e-mail, encouraging the modification/cancellation of
posts which are multiples.

The recent violators have professed some ignorance to cross posting and even
indicated that they tried to figure out how to post to multiple groups
without creating multiple posts.  I doubt that future violators will bother
to find and read the FAQ unless it is pushed in their face just prior to
committing said violation.

I agree with all of the above except for the use of the term "violator"..
those folks made a mistake, an honest one, in many cases *after* trying to
figure out how to do it right, if we want to be friendly we shouldn't think
of them as violators. A bit pejorative.

Sort of a minor point and I hope in saying it that any who read this don't
take it as disagreement with Rob, he's spot on.  And I bet he agrees with