 Administrative / General / 10186
Re: Darth Joules' alias (was: Re: Won't you give me one more try?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 03:28:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Thomas Garrison writes:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, richard marchetti wrote:

In sympathy for persons like Darth, I think the TOS should be changed
to reflect the privacy concerns/realities of the internet.

Massive confusion:  what difference does it make whether or not spammers
have your full name?  They'll cheerfully send you mail even if they don't
know your name.

(I should know---I'm currently getting spam at all my addresses (including
the heavily spamblocked addresses), and most of the senders couldn't care
less about my name.  Meanwhile, free e-mail forwarding seems to have gone
the way of the dodo. . .)

Yeah, I have to say I'm with Tanya on this.  No offense to "Darth", but I'm
less inclined to take seriously a post from a person going by a nickname
anyway-- it's like people who name their pets after obscure literary
characters and think themselves clever-- I just don't have the patience
for it anymore.

Lugnet is where I post almost exclusively also, although there are
other forums I have visited out of morbid curiosity.  They are more
anonymous and you have to think up a catchy name to go by when you
register (well, it's not mandatory, but most people do).  In these groups you
are also rated by how much you post (with horrid titles for ranks of posting
frequency), and the registration form contains some ridiculous questions,
including things like (I kid you not) "How many pairs of underwear do
you own?"  And in general there is a higher tolerance for profanity.

If we start allowing anonymity on Lugnet, my fear is that people will be less
prudent about what they post and it will degenerate into the type of forum I
describe above.

BTW my relatively anonymous email address gets more spam than my pacbell
address.  Also, I too have been getting the edventures spam. I had assumed it
was because I subscribe to lugnet.edu.

Maggie C.