 Administrative / Database / 78
Re: A Technic set DB outline
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:45:19 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Joshua Delahunty <dulcaoin@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
'Subtheme' was a term you suggested back in the days when Fibblesnork
was more of a living entity, and you suggested that some terminology be
laid out.  It's the one that took off after that discussion.  I don't
think it was so much a case of "I like 'subtheme,' let's go with it;"
more of a "hey, I've been thinking about this, and what should we call
items that are within Town, or Space themes?  I thought about
'subtheme', but I'm open to futher suggestions."  It took off from
there.

I dunno. This comment looks like it took place sometime around Sept. '95,
and Deja News finds references to "sub-theme" and "subtheme" as far back as
April '95 -- and Deja News doesn't go back much further than that. So I
don't think Todd's to blame.

That sounds about right.  (I'm on trial for this, right?)  September-October
1995 was when those discussions were going on that resulted in the FLG being
created...

At least I listed to Joshua/wisdom and used "series" instead of "sub-theme."
:)

It (sub-theme) probably won't fade out until a viable replacement is found.
Once Programme & Product Line can be popularized, there won't be much of a
need any more.  But even if there are 3 "real" levels in the TLG tree, I
often see 4 or 5 in some cases...  In the Themes tree, we'll need
designators for unofficial as well as official
entities/categories/groupings.  Can't name any off the top of my head right
now because I just woke up, but there are dozens of really compelling ones.

--Todd