 Administrative / Database / 74
Re: A Technic set DB outline
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 20:07:27 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

First off, let me state that were I designing this from scratch I'd do
an object model not a data model but...

Jim Hughes wrote:

Theme table seems empty.

It is. I am still trying to figure out how to put themes and subthemes
into a table.

You need a hierarchy table. Model it like this (not legit SQL)

Table Theme
  ThemeID integer PRIMARY KEY NOT NIL
  ThemeType Code /* maps to code table with values such as "system",
"theme", "subtheme" etc... */  NOT NIL
  Name Varchar80
  Description Varchar255
  ParentTheme (->ThemeID) integer

Now you have one theme that has a nil ParentTheme and type code of
"root"
Each SYSTEM theme the has root as parent
Each theme like town has a SYSTEM theme as parent
Each subtheme like Race has a theme as parent, and so forth.

In case accuracy WRT TLG is important here, the actual hierarchy looks
like the following (I may never forgive Todd for his invention of the
term "subtheme" :-P)

Product Programme
+- Product Line
+- Product Theme

"Race" is a theme in the "Town System" Product Line which is part of
the "LEGO System" Product Programme (other PP's are DUPLO and
TECHNIC).  Product lines and themes can be variously referred to as
"line" (no product in front) or "series".

The hierarchy comes from TLG documentation that was put out late-80s
early-90s, which very specifically spelled out the entire product
offering at that time.  Lately, there has been further and further
blurring of the idea of Product Line versus Theme, so this may no
longer apply, but please note that "subtheme" has never been, strickly
speaking, correct.

-- joshua