 Administrative / Database / 72
  Re: A Technic set DB outline

Larry: Thanks for your comments, this is exactly the type of discussion I hoped posting this would generate: (...) Yes. (...) It is. I am still trying to figure out how to put themes and subthemes into a table. (...) This makes alot more sense than (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: A Technic set DB outline

First off, let me state that were I designing this from scratch I'd do an object model not a data model but... (...) You need a hierarchy table. Model it like this (not legit SQL) Table Theme ThemeID integer PRIMARY KEY NOT NIL ThemeType Code /* (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: A Technic set DB outline

(...) In case accuracy WRT TLG is important here, the actual hierarchy looks like the following (I may never forgive Todd for his invention of the term "subtheme" :-P) Product Programme +- Product Line +- Product Theme "Race" is a theme in the "Town (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: A Technic set DB outline

(...) Eh, whenever did I invent that term? And what have I done to popularize it? The weird term I made up for the FLG was "series." I don't like subtheme either, unless there is also the concept of supertheme -- as in subcategory and supercategory. (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: A Technic set DB outline

(...) 'Subtheme' was a term you suggested back in the days when Fibblesnork was more of a living entity, and you suggested that some terminology be laid out. It's the one that took off after that discussion. I don't think it was so much a case of "I (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: A Technic set DB outline

(...) I dunno. This comment looks like it took place sometime around Sept. '95, and Deja News finds references to "sub-theme" and "subtheme" as far back as April '95 -- and Deja News doesn't go back much further than that. So I don't think Todd's to (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: A Technic set DB outline

(...) That sounds about right. (I'm on trial for this, right?) September-October 1995 was when those discussions were going on that resulted in the FLG being created... At least I listed to Joshua/wisdom and used "series" instead of "sub-theme." :) (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.admin.database)