 Administrative / Curators / 398
Re: lugnet.market newsgroup not working?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:47:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Paul Ferguson wrote:

My apologies.  I'm apparently referring to this thing by the wrong terminology,
in using the word "newsgroup."  What I'm talking about here is the page I see
with a web browser at http://news.lugnet.com/market/

When the URL refers to the page for a specific real group, I tend to call it the
"front page" (and it's the thing that curators for specific groups or groups of
groups tend to modify most... so (as an admin for curators) I need to use a term
for it a lot more often than most people do... if someone has a better term for
it I'd love to hear about it!)

I agree that in this case since there is no lugnet.market newsgroup, this page
isn't the front page for a group, but the term might still colloquially work
anyway, it's the front page for a 'category' if you like.

Kevin Salm is the curator for the entire lugnet.market hierarchy, so this is a
page he does maintenance on, I believe.

Another such page, then, would be http://news.lugnet.com/org/ ... although in
that case there is actually a group called lugnet.org .. Tim Courtney has done a
great job of getting that page to be a valuable resource.

YET another such page would be http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/ ... in that
case, there is no base off-topic group, and I need to decide if there is merit
in creating the page or not (I'm the curator for all of off-topic). So far I
never saw a reason to do so, so you get the default generated page which has no
specific non generated content.

Hope that helps rather than muddies