 Trains / 5900
Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 15:36:42 GMT

Thanks, James!

I'll try to get this hooked up tonight.

Melting the plastic is a concern.  We'll see if I'm worthy.

Thanks for the advice.

later,
James Mathis

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

You all are right!  It's going to take a steady hand to re-solder that wire • to
the plug connector!
Any recommendations on the solder job?

_small_ iron, using low melt solder, and lots of flux.  I use a Antax 18W, 12V
iron (but, it is british, so you are not likely to be able to get one).

Otherwise, a Temp. Controlled iron, or run a small (25W) iron using a Variac
(Variable Transformer) to reduce the heat to the minimum temp that will melt
the solder.  You can use 50-50 solder, just don't linger with the iron, go in
and out on the plastic pieces (I assume there is plastic right below a metal
contact plate)

Tin the work first, both the wire and the plate, then put a little more fresh
flux on the plate (use _Rosin_ flux, mine comes in a 4 Oz bottle).  Then get a
dollop of fresh solder on your iron, and holding both pieces together, touch
the larger one until the solder melts on both it and the wire, then get the
iron off, and don't move the joint until it has set.

James