 Trains / 5881
  Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

Hi, I need some help. I have a 12volt points/switch motor box that doesn't work quite right. Most of the time the motor doesn't give any audible or visual indication of the solenoid even trying to throw the switch. Sometimes, if I push the switch to (...) (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

Hi James, same question came up u few weeks ago.... Ludo from Belgium answered then that he opened such a point motor box once, but he traded it away and the new owner is me. If you like I can try to find this repaired point motor this evening (...) (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

Ben, Thanks. Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated. However, I would not want you to re-open a repaired points motor that currently works and risk damaging the box. Perhaps Ludo would be willing to speak to this again? I am (...) (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

(...) Dear James (and whoever might be interested in this also), I took the point motor from Ludo and opened it again (was hardly glued now). And I took a few pictures to put the best of them on my homepage here: (URL) direct picture link here: (...) (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

Thank you for the photograph of the opened gray motorized points box, Ben. What a task to open that box! Which sides of the gray box were glued together? - the long sides or the short sides? Thanks. later, James Mathis (...) (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

(...) At least the long sides, but I fear it have been all four sides.... Regards and good night (0:30 am) Ben (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

After a couple of hours, my 12volt points motor gray box is opened. I damaged the top cover slightly at its base along the flange at one corner. The damage is a flex/cut through the flange caused by too strong of a cut into the very small gap (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

(...) _small_ iron, using low melt solder, and lots of flux. I use a Antax 18W, 12V iron (but, it is british, so you are not likely to be able to get one). Otherwise, a Temp. Controlled iron, or run a small (25W) iron using a Variac (Variable (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

Thanks, James! I'll try to get this hooked up tonight. Melting the plastic is a concern. We'll see if I'm worthy. Thanks for the advice. later, James Mathis (...) to (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

(...) Hi Folks! It was originally glued on four sides. After opening, i glued it back together with special ABS glue. I found this in a shop where they sell models (airplane, cars,..) Pictures says, in this case, more than words, isn't it? regards, (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help Open 12v switch track motor- doesn't switch

Hello, Ludo! Thanks VERY much for pioneering this operation for me. I have now fully repaired my 12v motorized track switch box. :-) Very happy it now works. I went home during lunch and soldered the thin coil wire back onto the inside plug (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.trains)