 Trains / 30565
Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 20:58:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Graham wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Matthew Bates wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Track Designer source code???  Anyone???

I know this is 5 years late but I think I have finally found the source code!

That is great news, Track Designer is very useful, I use it all the time when I
do a LEGO train show as I have a different layout for each show. It still works
very well but it would be nice to see a few enhancements.
David

One particular enhancement I'd like is better track height and slope management.
I'd like to be able to set each individual track piece end height to the nearest
1/6 of a plate height.  My layout has many track pieces at non-integer plate
heights, such as 4 plates height change in 3 straights (needing 1/3 plate
heights) and half plate height changes at the ends of a 1 plate/piece slope.

I often use 1 or 2 straights between each curve, each set of additional
strtaights over a 90-degree curve adding 32.219M to the X and Y dimensions, but
the existing TD doesn't fit it very well to the intended approximation of 32M in
X and Y.  Perhaps the approximation could be enhanced or made into a standard
form of track parts group with master dimensions.

I expect that, with the advent of plastic track, more track shapes may be
possible, so more track parts versatility would be good, especially shorter
pieces and different angles.

Whatever is developed, please make sure it will run on XP as well as it does
now, so that all of us who have been reluctant to upgrade(?) to Vista can use
the new edition of TD on XP till Windows 7 comes good (hopefully!).

Mark