 Trains / 30556
Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:27:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Matt, would you be willing to let someone try to split out the
OS-dependent parts,
so that ports to other platforms are easier? I've been programming for
nearly 30
years, so that's something I can likely do. I haven't really done any
GUI work,
but I might be able to interest a friend of mine in working with me to do a
Linux version. Given a Linux version, versions for MacOS and the BSDs,
Solaris,
etc. should be fairly straightforward.
Given the reports that its using MFC, it would be easier to rewrite a new
version from scratch than to port the existing one.

It is indeed written using MFC, which it makes extensive use of for the GUI.
Porting it to another platform would take considerable effort.

I think what I'm going to do first is get the source code into a package I can
release (and archive!) and then decide what to do with it. I at least need to
work on fixing the help system because it appears I do not have the source to
that.

I am open to suggestions as to what to do with TD, both in terms of releasing
the source code to the community and what improvements people would like to see.

Has anybody kept a list of bugs anywhere? I know of at least one bug where it
leaves trails of black squares lying around which never happened on slower
machines when I wrote it.

Matt