 Trains / 30046
Re: Scratch building a motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:29:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jean-Marc Nimal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

   http://www.meltingbricks.net/pictures/galleries/power_function_7740/

anyone care to chime in on how this setup does with pulling power? ondrew

Well, bear in mind I’m no train expert myself - and that this setup was thrown together a bit hastily; in particular, one gear train was too loose and would do an horrible noise when tortured.

That said, I used it to pull a few of Ludo Soete’s Belgian railcars, which are quite heavy, and it seemd to bear the load without trouble. It probably wouldn’t take more than 10 regular cars, but I honestly don’t know.

Another issue is the friction on the rails - the standard bands provided with the RC wheels aren’t too good. I tried some alternates in Brasschaat that someone else had made, but it wasn’t better. Didier Enjary was kind enough since then to point me to a standard LEGO rubber belt (x71) which works like a charm, but I didn’t try it in real conditions.

I’d happily do more tests, but that’ll have to wait as I’m busy for the moment. I’ll probably take that model, or a better one, to Fana’Briques in Rosheim and see what kind of speed I can get from such a setup.

What I’d like to know about this set-up is how it copes with going over points. I’ve taken track power up into a mechanism through the pivot-point of a bogey, but I haven’t powered a truck down through the pivot point like this.

I can see that that would put some torque on the bogey, causing it to favour turning to one side. This could cause trouble going over points (switches) since these operate primarily by guiding only one side of the wheelset.

Jason R