 Trains / 30034
  Scratch building a motor

I am curious to know if anyone has attempted to use the technic motors and gears to build their own train motor. (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) Brickshelf user "swoofty" built one (URL) not too long ago.> (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) I did one too, to show at a BeLUG event last november, but never got around to do decent pictures or post them here. The train isn't as nice as Swoofty's, but the principle for driving the wheels appears to be the same: (URL) Which is pretty (...) (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) anyone care to chime in on how this setup does with pulling power? ondrew (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) I tried using pneumatics to make my train motor-- (URL) it was a valiant effort! Dave K (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) Well, bear in mind I'm no train expert myself - and that this setup was thrown together a bit hastily; in particular, one gear train was too loose and would do an horrible noise when tortured. That said, I used it to pull a few of Ludo Soete's (...) (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) Hi, On the subject, be sure to check Steve Barile's RailBricks #2 article about the PFS train. (page 6-7) - (URL) been able to point this at Jean-Marc but that's (AFAIK) an original idea by Steve. Lot of friction on the rails can be a goal. (...) (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) I saw that one during a random scrounge through Brickshelf, but I thought it was a mock-up, but now I see it is a scratch built motor. (16 years ago, 20-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) That is exactly what I was/am looking at. Using the current line of PF modules to power a train. (16 years ago, 20-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) What I'd like to know about this set-up is how it copes with going over points. I've taken track power up into a mechanism through the pivot-point of a bogey, but I haven't powered a truck down through the pivot point like this. I can see that (...) (16 years ago, 20-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) See (URL). Sivan (16 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) That is pretty good. I noticed that someone pasted a comment on using more cylinders. I was thinking perhaps emulating a bag-pipe might help keep the air pressure up. (16 years ago, 2-Mar-08, to lugnet.trains)