 Trains / 30039
Re: Scratch building a motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:05:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

   http://www.meltingbricks.net/pictures/galleries/power_function_7740/

anyone care to chime in on how this setup does with pulling power? ondrew

Well, bear in mind I’m no train expert myself - and that this setup was thrown together a bit hastily; in particular, one gear train was too loose and would do an horrible noise when tortured.

That said, I used it to pull a few of Ludo Soete’s Belgian railcars, which are quite heavy, and it seemd to bear the load without trouble. It probably wouldn’t take more than 10 regular cars, but I honestly don’t know.

Another issue is the friction on the rails - the standard bands provided with the RC wheels aren’t too good. I tried some alternates in Brasschaat that someone else had made, but it wasn’t better. Didier Enjary was kind enough since then to point me to a standard LEGO rubber belt (x71) which works like a charm, but I didn’t try it in real conditions.

I’d happily do more tests, but that’ll have to wait as I’m busy for the moment. I’ll probably take that model, or a better one, to Fana’Briques in Rosheim and see what kind of speed I can get from such a setup.