 Trains / 29988
Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:53:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Curtis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Daniel Aubin wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote:

If you really want knuckle couplers for your LEGO trains, you could try these;

They’re made by Kadee (famous to all model railroad fans for their couplers). On their site,

Using a standard #1 knuckle coupler is an interesting idea. But instead of using the raw shank version, why not go with one that is mounted in a draft gear box? A little epoxy or MEK could probably mount the draft gear box on a hacked brick.

For that matter, up at the TechShop they have a 3D printer that will print in ABS. It probably wouldn’t be too hard to make a standard #1 draft gear box with technic-style mounting holes. The machine is a bit too “pixelated” to do good Lego studs, I guessing. But 5mm holes on 8mm centers is no problem.

Still, I’d like to do something better than magnetic uncoupling. I keep noodling about designs involving shape-memory wire that would allow remote controlled uncoupling. Haven’t worked that out quite yet...

Jeff Christner used Kadees on his layout many years ago. His site is gone but the Wayback machine has the text but unfortunatly only one pic. He also talks about it here Ondrew Hartigan has also done some experimenting.

Tim