 Trains / 29970
Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:16:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   How are you going to do your uncoupling? Its going to be a important issue if you are doing a lot of switching.

Tim

Uncoupling is probably my biggest issue. Right now, I’m doing it by hand, which means holding a set of cars apart with one hand and working the speed control with the other. This isn’t too much of a problem down in the yard, but it’s a stretch (literally) to reach the A/D track sometimes. I’ve been wondering if it would be possible to build a knuckle or rapido-style coupler out of Lego.

I’ve also been thinking about installing some sort of electromagnet system between the rails, and making it a hump yard, maybe raising the head of the yard up a plate or two, but I’m not sure exactly how it would work. The idea also makes the purist in me cringe.

The other problem I have is the switches on the far end of the layout. My controllers are near the center of the layout, so throwing the switches to reach the mainline or caboose track involve getting up and stepping over to reach them. Hopefully it won’t be as bad once I have things up on tables, but right now, it’s killing my knees to get up and down.

-Elroy