 Trains / 29978
Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:40:03 GMT

The layout looks great (you will be so much happier with it when it’s up on a table)! It’s really hard to resist the temptation to make a loop, but point-to-point layouts have many more interesting possibilities. I think you’ll be having fun with this one.

Below are some thoughts I had to some of your dilemmas:

In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   How are you going to do your uncoupling? Its going to be a important issue if you are doing a lot of switching.

Uncoupling is probably my biggest issue. Right now, I’m doing it by hand, which means holding a set of cars apart with one hand and working the speed control with the other.

I talked about this very thing six years (!) ago, and I haven’t changed my opinion on it yet. Manual uncoupling is way underrated; you just have to have the right tool. See my post here:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=16315

   I’ve also been thinking about installing some sort of electromagnet system between the rails, and making it a hump yard, maybe raising the head of the yard up a plate or two, but I’m not sure exactly how it would work. The idea also makes the purist in me cringe.

If you really need an electric uncoupler, here’s a design I came up with that is LEGO pure, if a bit bulky:

It works by lining up the train with the red horizontal plunger. The plunger then disengages the magnets enough to drive the train away.

   The other problem I have is the switches on the far end of the layout. My controllers are near the center of the layout, so throwing the switches to reach the mainline or caboose track involve getting up and stepping over to reach them.

There are a number of electrically operated switch designs, but I think mine is the smallest, since it uses a micro-motor. It has pros and cons which are detailed here:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=16648

Hope these links are helpful to you!

Rick C.