 Trains / 28811
Re: 10183 Hobby Train Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:26:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Really? I don’t see the connection here, Eric. Why would TLG equate the success of this set with an endorsement of the 9 volt system?

Because Lego notices the distinct markets of toy trains and hobby trains. The toy train market is for kids, the hobby trains are for adults. Lego knows that hobbyists are after electrical track. Whether or not it’s a 9v system probably isn’t that big of a deal, but it should definitely be electrical, not battery operated.

Yes, but I’d argue that the current 9 volt system is a toy train sytem. Hobbyists are after something more complex, like DCC, motorized switches, alternative geometries on curves, DRIVERS FOR STEAM ENGINES, etc. It is remarkable to me that TLG was able to conceive of a system that is even less complex than the 9 volt system, AKA the RC system!

   This set represents a target audience of train hobbyists, not kids.

I don’t understand this sudden assertion that the 9 volt system is suddenly now on the “hobbyist” level.

   There aren’t any minifigs, the price point is high, and the complexity is fairly high. Hence, the success of this set indicates (to some degree) the strength of the Lego train hobbyist community. If this set does well, it’s an indicator that there are lots of hobbyists out there who probably want a serious hobby train from Lego.

HERE is the best indicator I’m aware for TLG to gauge the healthiness of the LEGO hobby train market.

   Does that mean 9v per se? Not really, but yes really. If hobbyists are already out there, it probably means they’re all hooked on 9v. So indirectly, it means that they should continue the 9v line.

But if we are going to lobby for a LEGO hobby train system, I don’t think the current 9 volt system is it. It could (should) be MUCH better!

JOHN