 Trains / 28711
Re: New Thomas Duplo Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:04:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

   I find their choice of locos wierd, Gordon yes, but why Salty and whatever the silver A4 is called?

“Spencer”. Agreed. I lost, er, track, of all of Thomas’ newer friends (gad, he’s got more than I do!) since he big motion picture.

Personally, I think Tom should spend more time with his older friends and stop making so many new ones.

JOHN

I agree absolutely. I prefer to stick to the characters in the original 26 books by Rev. W Awdry and the 14 by his son Christopher Awdry. Those stories were closely based on real events on real railways, making the more modern tales look ridiculous. It’s a shame many younger kids don’t know the difference. I learned a lot about railways from reading those books.

Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James, Percy, Toby, Duck, Donald and Douglas, and Stepney, followed by BoCo and Bear and maybe “Old Spamcan”, would provide plenty of tractive characters. There might be more licensing issues with Flying Scotsman, City of Truro or Green Arrow. The narrow gauge engines might provide a 4-wide set for 5-year-olds entering the world of smaller studs, but perhaps by that age they want an electric train.

I think the sets ought to do the engines a bit more justice too, at least having the right number of wheels, even if children of that age would test their robustness! Sadly, it follows the trend of Brio and others where low cost is more important.

It gives AFOL parents a dilemma - do you buy your child a train that you would hate to look at because of its poor imitation, or are you comfortable in the knowledge that it will soon be worn out and disposed of and you can educate your child properly with better trains when he is old enough to appreciate them? Is it “better a poor train than no train at all”?

Mark