 Trains / 24464
Re: Fairmont Speeder, small track powed motorcar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:18:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:

   For those interested. Inside is a current limiting resistor and diode to supply correct polarity low DC current to a rechargable battery and motor. The track charger supply is rated at 6v using a 4 cell battery. The motor spins while charging, and continues to run off the battery for a minute or so after charging. With the car picking up current from the track, this is fine for hands off running. It’s a bit ackward for controlling the car, as it only runs forward, and takes a minute to stop.

A correction to the above. The cars run off of 3 volts max, not 6 volts! And the rechargable device is not a battery, but a specalized capacitor. http://www.coiltronics.com/products_supercapacitors.asp These caps have amazing storage capacity, but are rated at 2.5v and 3v surge. The series diode drops the 3 volt input down to ~2.5 volts.

I plan to use a 5volt version with a bridge diode and 3.5v voltage regulator for some light up passenger cars.

Mat