 Trains / 24438

Subject:
Fairmont Speeder, small track powed motorcar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 06:08:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

While up in the SF Bay Area over Chrismat I got a chance to visit the Niles Canyon Railway, with the help of Zonker. They had a Fairmont Speeder and a few trailers. The RR park near me in Powey also has one, and I’d been thinking of modeling one. O used the later for my prototype.

I recieved a small motorised chassis in a grab bag. http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/5213. And after experimenting a bit I decided it would make a good start for the speeder.

The speeder is a small maintanace of way viehicle, used to transport rail workers for track inspection and repairs. It can also tow several small sleds. The model is very simple, but the neat thing is that it’s motorised! Useing the 5213 as a base. I extended the width of the wheelbase, and added track power pic-ups. All without modifying any LEGO parts. Although I did have to add a bit of wire.

Please visit the MOC page for more images and description http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/8021

Mat

Re: Fairmont Speeder, small track powed motorcar
Excellent work Mat.  You beat me to the punch again.  I had been collecting
a few of those for that very reason! :)

Rob

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Fairmont/speeder.jpg>>

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Fairmont/imgp4692.jpg>>

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Fairmont/imgp4697.jpg>>
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Fairmont/imgp4700.jpg>>

Please visit the MOC page for more images and description
<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/8021>

Mat

Re: Fairmont Speeder, small track powed motorcar
Quite the innovation! I had no idea this part even existed! I'd like to try my
hand at it also.

Thanks for sharing.

SteveB

[...]

Thanks Steve, and your welcome, although I think I should have tried to hunt down a couple more chassis before publishing. 8)

I’m hoping to get more, to make other MOW vehicles, such as a hi-rail truck or ballest tamper.