 Trains / 24446
Re: Fairmont Speeder, small track powed motorcar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:51:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote:
   Excellent work Mat. You beat me to the punch again. I had been collecting a few of those for that very reason! :)

Rob

“Mathew Clayson” mathew_impact1@yahoo.com wrote in message news:ICEJqA.3I9@lugnet.com...

   Please visit the MOC page for more images and description http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/8021

Mat

Thanks Rob,

A few of them? Let me know if you want to sell one. 8) I’d like to build a hi-rail truck as well. Or I could switch the Speeder over to a bit charG chassis, and use the 5213 for the hi-rail.

This was a fun proof of concept, to see if I could use the motor without modifying parts. Now that I know it works, I plan to change the wiring inside the motor unit. I don’t own any racer track, and have no need to keep the motor unit pure LEGO.

For those interested. Inside is a current limiting resistor and diode to supply correct polarity low DC current to a rechargable battery and motor. The track charger supply is rated at 6v using a 4 cell battery. The motor spins while charging, and continues to run off the battery for a minute or so after charging. With the car picking up current from the track, this is fine for hands off running. It’s a bit ackward for controlling the car, as it only runs forward, and takes a minute to stop.

I plan to remove the diode and battery. And keep a current limiting resistor and a 6v diode stack at the output. I may even add a DCC decoder, as I think there’s room. Of course I’d have to add working lights then. 8)

Mat