 Trains / 22779
Re: Small mountain with train and road tunnels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:51:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz wrote:

On streams, I sincerely believe that streams need to be inset into the mountain.
The action of water over time is to cut away. So a stream should be in a cleft
or even the startings of a gorge. The deeper the better. Doing that also makes
the edge detail a bit harder to see and the water a bit more shadowy. Both of
those aid in my view.

Definitely. I like the use of trans light blue, it gives the water some
depth, and makes it look less like a solid wall of blue like some waterfalls
I've seen.

Try SNOT for waterfalls though...

I'd also suggest more trans-clear/blue brick as well. And just so you all know,
it took me about 5+ times to get both of the pond fed watter falls the way that
I liked them on both of mountains that I have done. It's not an easy thing to
do, but the affect that Thomas has created does convey the thought.

On burps, you yourself know that too many burps means regular patterns. Rock is
nothing if not irregular. It takes a lot more bricks to not use burps though. I
had the luxury (or so I thought, I ended up running out of earth tone basic
bricks anyway) of having a lot of bricks so I used burps for less than 5% of my
surface area and they are not very noticable, at least not to mundanes. (we can
spot them easily because we know what to look for)

On my cliff scene, I was really worried about the regularity of the BURPs.
In talking with several mundanes who attended our shows, I realized that
they just don't see the regularity. On a big enough mountain, everyone
(AFOLS also) tends to just be going oh wow! Another trick is to hide the
regularity of the BURPs with plants and such. Of course I put bricks in
front of the BURPs to hide the regularity some, but I think trees in front
of the cliff, and the small plants on the cliff do the best.

Frank

Ok, so I'm the BURP king (well, at least part of the aristocracy of BURPdom).
Yes, just about anything helps with getting rid of the regularity of a BURP.
(Listed IMO in best order of use):Slopes, other bricks in front of the BURP(s),
SNOT BURP(S), SNOT brick, and plants all help out.

Just remember, no mountain (in any form) is built in a day. Thomas, your
mountain is fine the way it is, if that's the way you want it/envisioned it. I'm
sure a lot of us could suggest improvements till it was right out of what we
would have invisioned it.

C-ya!
Rich