 Trains / 19117
New Creations: Remote Switch, Remote Decoupler, End of Line Bumper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:09:04 GMT

The journey down the long and winding road of trains....

Earlier this month I had the opportunity to participate in the GATS show in
Syracuse, NY with LUCNY.  This event really kicked my entrance into the
Train aspect of LEGO into high gear.  I had bought some track and had the
Santa Fe and Metroliner before the event, but the thrill of showing off a
layout and interacting with the crowd was the coup-de-gras.  Since then I
have been designing layouts with Track Designer seemingly notstop.  I also
have been hard at work adding some automation to my layout.  This has also
been spured on by the gift of Mindstorms 2.0 for Christmas from my parents.
So tonight I present my versions of a switch house, decoupler and end of the
line bumper.

Automatic Switch House
  I took the designs of Jeff Elliot
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=10867) and
Ed McGlynn (http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=15934) and added my own little
twist.

(After Moderation)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/njelmo98/Train/Switch/switch1.jpg
(More pictures available)

End of the Line Bumper with Flashing Light
  About a week ago Rob Hendrix posted a set of instructions for his end of
the line bumper (http://news.lugnet.com/inst/?n=242).  I took his version
and added a flashing light to the top.

(After Moderation)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/njelmo98/Train/Bumper/bumper1.jpg
(More pictures available)

Automatic Decoupler
  I did some digging looking for any designs people had done of an automatic
decoupler.  I found Martin Legault's design
(http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=16347) and
Rick Clark's design (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=18638).
I then set out to build my own.  It works quite well.  It is fantastic not
to have to take the train apart by hand.

(After Moderation)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/njelmo98/Train/Decoupler/dec3.jpg
(More pictures available)

All comments are welcomed and encouraged.  Thanks.

Nate