 Town / 4432
Re: MOC: Union Station - Kansas City, MO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ks, lugnet.loc.us.mo.kan
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:26:30 GMT

i don't respond to hardly any MOC posts, maybe 1 or 2 in all the time i've
been lurking on lugnet. but this...... this is probably one of the most
beautifully designed buildings made out of LEGO i have ever seen. even
though it is modeled after the real union station, it transcends all ideas
of scale and translation into a gorgeous piece architectural piece.

congratulations on your accomplishment. i could only hope to build something
as beautiful and as detailed as your union station creation.

ace

In lugnet.town, Mark Chan writes:
After 3 years of planning and 6 months of building, I am pleased to announce
the completion of the main section of Union Station, modeled after the real
building in Kansas City, MO.

This is also my entry for the 2002 Town Building Contest

C Super-size Buildings
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=13740 Union Station. Mark Chan
Union Station was built in 1914 in Kansas City, MO. It is the second largest
train station in North America.

This model uses selective compression, and is 130 studs long. It features
many different construction techniques including: SNOT (Studs Not On Top),
OHSO (One-Half Stud Offset), OFSO (One-Fifth Stud Offset) and SNAND (Studs
Not At Ninety Degrees)

I will cheerfully try and answer any questions about how this model was
constructed. It used every technique I could think of so far to try and
maximize detail per cubic inch of space. The roof tops alone required over
2700 pieces to construct (around 1400 of them consisting of 2x2 red tiles)

Many thanks to all the Brickbay/Bricklink stores who provided me with the
parts necessary to construct Union Station in Lego.

Special and greatest thanks also go to my very supportive wife Laural, who
allowed me to take over the coffee table (and great room) to house and build
this project, and made many creative suggestions that were incorporated
along the way. I am one of the lucky adult fans of Lego that has a spouse
who shares and encourages my joy in this hobby.

Stage II of this project includes plans to elevate the existing model 14
bricks, adding the North End Waiting Room, placing tracks underneath the
North End, and putting a Super Chief in service.

Please let me know what you think!

Mark Chan