 Town / 4438
Re: MOC: Union Station - Kansas City, MO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ks, lugnet.loc.us.mo.kan
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 06:56:17 GMT

In lugnet.town, Mark Chan writes:
Among the toughest "compression yet MF
accessible" challenges was the awning over the two front entrances. In
scale, they should be about half as high as they are (and in solid black),
but then a minifig couldn't fit under it. On the other hand, a solid piece
at MF height just distracted too much from the overall effect. I compromised
with a "glass" awning at MF height to minimize the distraction.

An elegant compromise!  The SNOT glass awning is one of my favorite details
of this all-around beautiful MOC.

Forgive me for saying so, but I was relieved to see that your decorative and
highly innovative roof at least has an ugly underneath.  @8^)  If it looked
as good on the hidden side, it would have gone from jaw dropping to just
permanently mind boggling.

I have another question about technique you used.  It's one I remember
seeing  on the sides of some of the houses in the Carlsbad minland,
particularly the San Francisco section.  It gives the look of having
horizontal panelling.  Your Union Station MOC uses this technique on the
bottom grey part of the front enterance, and on the white sides of the
entrance among other places.

Could you (or anyone else) explain how this is done, and what pieces are
involved?  Thanks!

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith