 Technic / 8060
8059  |  8061
Subject:
8475 Alternate, and broken motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 01:12:21 GMT

Rob Hendrix <rob.removebeforesending@msltc.org> wrote in message
news:H195wz.CK7@lugnet.com...
I'm pretty not happy with the steering centering myself.  I can't get mine
to center no matter what I do.  Oh well, I only bought the set for the
motors anyway.

-Rob
hmm...New motor...Rail Racer 2003...hmmm

"Jason J Railton" <j.j.railton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, John Barnes writes:
8475 RC Race Buggy - A quick initial review

This is a 27 MHz remote control vehicle set. It isn't called Technic, • but
it
is primarily composed of Technic parts, some new, at least to me.

I just want to add that I've only seen two of these, and they both had a
minute problem with centering the steering.

My copy is the only other one that Jason had seen, and it had a severe
problem with the steering, or at least we initially thought it had. However,
a little bit of investigation showed that it was not the steering at fault,
but one of the two drive motors.
When fully powered, one of the motors turned fine, with quite a bit of
torque, but the other seemed to slip at the slightest obstruction. Imagine
the motor under full power buzzing away happily, but the wheel not turning!

I called consumer services with this problem, and a short list of other
problems including broken 8448 hydraulic cylinders (finally got round to
sorting that), but they fobbed me off saying that as the kit had been bought
from Legoland Windsor, it was their place to sort it, though they were happy
to replace the parts from the 8448. They even went so far as to give me the
phone number, and a contact name at LLW for replacement parts!

As expected, LLW had no idea what consumer services were talking about.
Half a dozen phone calls, 2 weeks, and 2 parcels from Billund later, I gave
up and dismantled the motor myself.

It turns out that the brass gear attached to the motor was a sloppy fit, so
was free to rotate and slide on the spindle - no way that was going to
transmit much power.

A spot of superglue, remodelling of the kit, and I was out shredding tyres.

Naturally, the rear tyres were promptly swapped for 'disposable' ones picked
up from the Red Letter Days visit, so the pictured car although not truly an
alternate model could very easily be so.

I also opted to add some protection to the underside of the car in the form
of electrical tape after the first encounter with steps resulted in some
rather scratched beams.

If anyone else feels the need to dismantle one of these motors, note the
holes and associated nubs either side of the peg holes, then ignore them. I
found the easiest way to dismantle the motor was to get a fingernail between
the two halves at the end farthest from the motor, and pull them apart with
a twisting motion.

Finally, a look at the gear ratio's reveal that the two outputs are not only
in opposing directions, but also different speeds. For anyone interested,
the ratio's are;

12:41    15:26    15:24    17:23

giving drive ratios of;

6.75:1 and 8.103:1

(Duckie) Dave Till
Apologising in advance for any goofs he made whilst composing this at around
2am.