 Technic / 7989
Re: 8475
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:50:26 GMT

I have to say -surprisingly, this looks like maybe TLC is getting more on
track.  This set seems to have much more potential than I expected.  Not
being able to pry this away from my 10 year old who was busily building, I
had to wait until he went to bed to get a look.

The modularity of this unit fits much better with TLC philosophy - AND
offers potential in other areas - robotics and technics.  The drive motors
are mounted in "arm like units" which use standard technic/RIS connector
wires.  Think "L -shaped" with the motor in a fat base and two drive points
in the long arm (both are connected to the motor, but turn in opposite
directions).  These units have 3 pairs (matched on 'top' and 'bottom' of the
arm) of 2 holed mounting "ears" and attach to pivoting pads on the main body
to provide part of the sprung suspension.  Two of these units provide the
drive for this unit (its really 2WD).  A separate module for steering has
lots of potential.  The main "body" has two connector points - one for both
drive motors and a second for the steering unit.

The wheels are also quite cool with TWO styles of tires (off-road and
racing) for the 4 wheel hubs.  An extra set of 4 hubs would've been nice,
but I'm impressed enough with the choice in tires.  I personally haven't
seen these tires or hubs before though they might have come on one of the
supercars.  The tires are marked 56x28ZR and the off-road 68.8x36R.  The hub
itself is marginally smaller than the whole 20x30 tire.

I have to admit that the $129 does seeem pricey but I'll be buying more (a
bunch more) if I see the price drop anywhere.  A combination of these parts
and an RCX might be really interesting.  The "battle bot" concept has passed
throughmy thoughts as well - though I've got kids trying that waay too often
in class already with what they've got access to via the microscout, scout
or RCX.