 Technic / 15937
Re: Power Functions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 03:34:22 GMT

The two added wires (power lines) provide permanent, fixed polarity supply
for
IR receiver. The new connector precisely ensure that no polarity reversal
is
possible. Without that, the IR receeiver would have needed a rectifier
bridge
generating huge power loss (1.4V over 9V!!!). This also allows all
possible
daisy chain configurations. Ultimate plug and play...

Ok. I see the point with the powerloss and polarity requirements...  but I
don't think I'll ever see this change as a good thing.

No, since they are about to release extension wire that provides
compatibility
with 9V... OK, it would have been better if this wire was already
available!

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want extension wires for
compatibilty.  I want "Conversion Plates".  Envision the current connector
as a 2x3 plate.  Obviously the four studs would be conductors just like the
old system.  Or have two types of  2x2 "Converstion Plates", on type having
the Power Functions connector on top and the old style on the bottom.  The
second type would be the reverse of this.  The old 9v connector on top and
the Power Functions on the bottom.  I don't a big long bulky cable like the
NXT to 9V cable, that thing looks like an DIY hack.

The other things I would like to see (just to catch this new PF system up to
the old 9v one):

- Regular extension wires of various lengths ( I see Dacta has one already
but not available for individual sale ).
- Polarity Switches
- Lights ( how are these going to work??? )

And of course the things LEGO never brought about:

- Solenoids ( Linear Actuators )
- Electrically controlled pneumatic valves