 Technic / 15929
Re: Power Functions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:57:49 GMT

No, you're not understanding how the system works.  LEGO could have easily
have made this very same system using the old two wire connector.  The extra
two wires don't do anything special. The more I think about things, the more
turned off I am becoming.  It's almost as if LEGO did this just to ensure
any 9v parts are now obsolete.

"Mervyn Tomb" <mtomb@tesco.net> wrote in message

However this 4 wire system - was it really necessary?  I can't help but
feel
that LEGO really did one over on enthusiasts like me.  I don't see any
benefit that this four wire system brought to building
electical/mechanical
models.  Well, with one exception - a person can now piggyback power off
any
terminal, but really I could have easily done without this.  The other
thing
that somewhat turns me off is the size of the connector.  Before we could
rotate a connector 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees.  We could also use
electrical
plates to move a bulky connector over.  We have lost this flexibility.

Does anyone else feel let down about the four wire system?  Perhaps in
the
future it will be apparent as to why this system was brought to life, but
for now I can't help but feel disappointed.

I can see your point. I'd say the four wire system made the new bulldozer
easy
to control with one infra red controller. But is it not the case that each
function is switched off when a the next function is activated? I
personally
prefer the idea of being able to have five older motors controlled by five
pole
switches, which can be switched in any sequence at any time. I have also
read
that the infra red controller requires line of sight, which may have its
limitations.

If Lego were really doing the job well they would have used radio waves,
and
given us variable power as in the RC racers.

Also can any one tell me what sort of connector is on the back of the new
motor,
as every photo I have seen does not show if the wire can be removed and
replaced
with a longer one.