 Technic / 15935
Re: Power Functions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:53:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dan Berladyn wrote:
No, you're not understanding how the system works.  LEGO could have easily
have made this very same system using the old two wire connector.  The extra
two wires don't do anything special.

The two added wires (power lines) provide permanent, fixed polarity supply for
IR receiver. The new connector precisely ensure that no polarity reversal is
possible. Without that, the IR receeiver would have needed a rectifier bridge
generating huge power loss (1.4V over 9V!!!). This also allows all possible
daisy chain configurations. Ultimate plug and play...

The more I think about things, the more
turned off I am becoming.  It's almost as if LEGO did this just to ensure
any 9v parts are now obsolete.

No, since they are about to release extension wire that provides compatibility
with 9V... OK, it would have been better if this wire was already available!

Philo