 Technic / 14704
Re: Hex565 - one leg at at time pneumatic hexapod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 23:22:28 GMT

On 04/10/05, Kevin L. Clague <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote:
Over the last few weeks, I've been working on a pneumatic hexapod that moves
one
leg at a time.

I got it working this morning.  It is pretty cool.

It uses 7 large pistons (six for making the legs move forward/backward) and
one
for controling the stride that moves the body forward.

It uses 24 small pistons.  Each leg requires two switches to determine when a
leg is up and down.  My standard ratio is two small pistons per switch.  Each
group of four small pistons could be easily replaced with a single large
piston.

Here is the timing diagram used to design the circuit.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex565/timing.jpg

Here is a schematic for the circuit:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex565/schematic.jpg

It is one of the bigger circuits I've made.  It took a bit to debug.

Here is a picture of the entire model:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex565/p9300001.jpg

Here is the busy underside:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex565/p9300006.jpg

Here are pictures of the leg lift/drop mechanism. The legs have a cute leg
lock
mechanism driven by the horizontal small pistons.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex565/p9300004.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex565/p9300005.jpg

Here is a closeup of a new piston/switch geometry I've been trying.  It
reduces
the amount the large piston can expand or contract, given the way it is hooked
to the switch.  The switch itself constrains the piston.  The cams prevent the
piston from pulling the perpendicular axle connector off the switch:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex565/p9300003.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex565/p9300007.jpg

This configuration uses about half the normal throw of a large piston.

Finally I have a movie:

http://www.kclague.net//hex565/hex565.avi

It takes about 5 seconds to move all the legs forward, and then swep them
back.

Please let me know what you think.

Kev

That is a joy to watch. Even if it is slower than some other gait, it
is very interesting to watch. I have vaguely followed your pneumatic
threads, watching the cool diagrams and devices, but I will admit you
lost me a while back with this. You and mark are clearly the masters
of Lego pneumatics.

My efforts have only ever gone as far as building small compressors
and a two cylinder reciprocating "engine". I may have to try a basic
penumatic walker though - you guys have intrigued me. I am also
limited by the fact that I probably do not have any where near that
number of switches, or pistons - mine barely make double figures.

Its a pity there is no sound on that video. You may find that some
people with slipstreamed SP1 windows have trouble viewing it - indeo
codec is no longer shipped with windows, and  costs a few bob!

Orionrobots
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots