 Technic / 14709
Re: Hex565 - one leg at at time pneumatic hexapod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:14:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

On 04/10/05, Kevin L. Clague <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote:
Over the last few weeks, I've been working on a pneumatic hexapod that moves
one
leg at a time.

I got it working this morning.  It is pretty cool.

<snip>

Please let me know what you think.

Kev

That is a joy to watch. Even if it is slower than some other gait, it
is very interesting to watch. I have vaguely followed your pneumatic
threads, watching the cool diagrams and devices, but I will admit you
lost me a while back with this. You and mark are clearly the masters
of Lego pneumatics.

I find it pleasing to watch also.  It is very decisive about its stepping.  When
legs are moving individually, they do so realtively quickly, and then they all
move at once, you see a definite lurch in body location.  There is something
about that that makes me just want to watch it walk.

My efforts have only ever gone as far as building small compressors
and a two cylinder reciprocating "engine". I may have to try a basic
penumatic walker though - you guys have intrigued me. I am also
limited by the fact that I probably do not have any where near that
number of switches, or pistons - mine barely make double figures.

If you have four pistons and four switches you can make a biped.  In some ways
bipeds are hard because of the balance thing, but at least in LEGO pneumatics,
they are very simple (very much like a four piston reciprocating engine).

Its a pity there is no sound on that video. You may find that some
people with slipstreamed SP1 windows have trouble viewing it - indeo
codec is no longer shipped with windows, and  costs a few bob!

I'm really a neophyte when it comes to this stuff.  Do you have other
suggestions on encoders I should use?

Orionrobots
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots